Social Icons

Monday, January 23, 2012

CONMEN IN MERU TOWN

Back in Eldoret, I have met so many con-men until I knew the difference between a conman and a person in distress. See, they are the kind of people who come to you asking for help of direction to clinic, hotel, school, and stadium (which are non-existing anyway) or even a lost item….they can make up anything as they are very creative. You will to help them, and maybe you go private away from the public-and the same way you give all valuables at the sight of that shiny dagger ready to burrow into your body. I came to know them well when I lost a phone and some cash. They just came as they come if you are familiar with them (and if you are not wait till you meet one). I met one of them stranded in the rush hour traffic and he started begging me to direct him to the main-stage so that he’d catch a non existing bus which I had never heard of before. I chatted with the man who seemed updated in the current affairs and he told me how he runs in one of the real estate developing company, how he is tired of his position as the assistant manager and so on. Just when we were about to turn a corner, a woman caught up with us and immediately ‘recognized’ the real estate developer. I was convinced. Then a dagger showed up and my phone was gone. I realized later that some shs2, 000 in my pocket was gone too. They follow you in a dog-master relationship then you meet your fate. Eldoret is such a place. And I hear Nairobi is the worst. All over Kenya there are conmen. However, in my stay in Meru I haven’t encountered or even hear of these people yet. As a matter of fact I have only heard of a burglary case only once. Someone tells me there are no burglars in Meru. Maybe I was wrong though. Today as I was walking with my fellow journalist alongside Orange house on Meru-Makutano road, I cross to the other side of the road, leaving him behind. So I had to wait for him. But before he could cross, a man called him. They talked for a while, pointing at one direction sometimes. It was obvious the man was asking for direction. I crossed the road again and neared them; maybe there was some ‘exclusive news item’ to happen. We are always hungry for news. First sight and I recognized the con. This time he was a young man who is an orphans and vulnerable children caretaker who had come for a meeting in Meru and now he did not know where Nanak clinic was. I waited for him to go on with his story of how they help orphans, how he has even been on K24 TV every Saturday and even asked if we have ever seen him. He told us to ask somebody the Nanak clinic for him. Just in time, he called two passersby who came without hesitation. They appeared innocent. After listening to the man’s story, one of them lit up and asked. “Are you the man who comes to K24 on Saturdays? Your face looks familiar”. The man laughed and congratulated us heartily. He called himself John Uche. We knew each other’s names, and I concealed mine to my pal’s surprise. Well, the story went on to an extent of exchanging telephone numbers which he suggested we do it in private. I told my pal that we had a deadline to beat, so we had to go. I knew if we had gone to the private we’d lose our cameras. That is Meru. If you meet such people, be quick in thinking. I tell you, that other con who asked if the first con was a K24 guest didn’t look like he had a TV back at home, if he has a home at all. So look for clues, mode of dressing, talking or any unusual behavior, the names (confirm every 5 minutes) and the exciting coincidences that are bound to make you believe they are genuine. Later in the evening, we found the three smoking and chewing Miraa where we had left them. Maybe they had found a prey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent information however I’d like to let you know that I think there is problem with your RSS feeds as they seem to not be working for me. May be just me but I thought overall I would cite it.

Powered By Blogger